Ricardo Ariztía Pinto arrives in Melipilla as Manager of the Melipilla Bank in 1893 and falls in love with the place. In 1894 he purchases some land consisting of a farm and its surrounding grounds, which together with other lands formed the Ariztía vineyard.
The son of Ricardo Ariztía, Hernán Ariztía Bascuñán, takes over the well-known vineyard business. Additionally, since the property was small, he sought the need to diversify towards fruit production.
The need to increase the value added of the plot led to start a new business, egg production with 20 thousand hens; in addition to wine and fruit trees.
The eighth son of Hernán Ariztía, Manuel Ariztía Ruíz, starts working in the Family Business. Years later, the vineyard is left aside in favor of poultry farming and fruit production. In that same decade starts the business of breeding chickens for meat, known as “Broiler Chickens”, which were sold alive.
In 1968 a manual slaughterhouse called BROIFAVES began operating in Puangue, Melipilla. Ricardo, Manuel’s brother, retires from the company but continues as Director. On the other side, Manuel buys the share of his brother Carlos in the Company, and then in 1970 buys the share of his brother Fernando.
In 1974, the business is inherited and divided between Manuel and his sisters: the poultry business will be for him and the fruit trees for them.
This is a decade of expansion with state of the art technology and strong growth. Market share grows from 9% in 1974 to more than 30% by 1982. After a sharp recession and crisis, in 1985 we begin exporting to Japan, which implies significant investments in plants and human capital to access foreign markets and communicate the unknown Chilean poultry meat business abroad.
This year we open a new business, raising and selling turkey, and build new slaughterhouse in El Paico, which also opened the possibility of exporting chickens and turkeys to Europe. The turkey, that had minimal consumption in the country, increasingly raised that percentage thanks to educational campaigns supported by the Company.
Additionally, the company Montina is purchased, selling the well-known Montina sausages and cold meat.
In December, Manuel appointed Ismael Correa as CEO, as he becomes President of the Company.
Since 1977, the distribution throughout Chile develops progressively.
For the first time in the Southern Hemisphere, Bird flu is confirmed in Ariztía. The Company sacrifices immediately and without hesitation 670 thousand breeding hens, affecting 83% of its chicken productive capacity. In addition, the productive capacity of turkeys had to be reduced by 50%.
In November, Manuel appointed as CEO his third son, Marcelo, being succeeded three years later by his sixth son, Paulo, who continues to this day.
Besides, this year is created the Brand Rumay expanding our market to cheese and butter, which are produced in Osorno.
More than 20% of Ariztía`s turnover is from the foreign market, present in 20 countries of America, Europe and Pacific Asia. On the other hand, 80% of its sales comes from products based on chicken and turkey, while the rest are sausages and cold meats, processed products of chicken, by-products, cheeses and others.
In 2011-2012 a slaughterhouses improvement plan is developed, which takes place in Arica, El Paico and Ochagavía plants.
Ariztía becomes the first national company to obtain the Rainforest Certification for the production of potatoes and corn for human consumption, which evaluates sustainability programs with the environment, labor conditions, health and occupational safety, as well as the relationship with the communities.
Ariztía becomes the only company in the world to obtain Rainforest certification for corn storage
Since August, 2016 our company is certified by INTA in our packaged chicken and turkey products, which certifies them being gluten free, soy allergen free and low sodium. On the other hand, this year Ariztía change its image and claim to “Ariztía, Hecho en Casa desde 1894” (Ariztía, Homemade since 1894)
Our Arica plant is enabled to export to USA, increasing our demand and expansion.
Ariztía continues to aim for improvement and efficiency, while emphasizing its concern for family values. Its workers find in Ariztía a great family, counting with several generations that have passed by the company.