Some of the food-related problems, such as infections and intoxications, originate in the food chain after slaughter and processing.
In order to prevent these problems, it is necessary to apply the correct hygiene measures during the purchase, transportation, conservation, preparation and consumption of food.
The Basic Rules of Food Hygiene for proper food conservation and preparation.
- Maintain the cool chain of the product in stages prior to its preparation. This means that the products are properly stored under the cooling conditions (temperature) indicated on the product packaging.
- Follow the instructions for storage, expiration and preparation indicated on the product packaging.
- Cook the food correctly.
- Consume immediately after cooking.
- Proper preservation of cooked food.
- Reheat cooked food correctly.
- Avoid any contact between raw and cooked food (cross-contamination).
- Wash hands frequently before and during food preparation.
- Supervise the cleaning of the space for food manipulation and preparation, including in this cleaning all the utensils or materials that are used to handle food.
- Protect food from insects, rodents and pets.
- Use only drinking water in food preparation.
- Keep toxic cleaning products away from food.